to the magazine of INHS, a non-profit organisation for discussing & teaching Natural Hygiene, a scientific view on health and disease with roots as far back as 1822.
"trust the body"
By following the simple rules of the socalled LAWS OF LIFE we can achieve lasting health & optimal energy.
Our goal is to teach, discuss & improve the best healing methods available. If they are low-cost or free, so much better.
We teach that drugs are unnecessary and will usually delay healing and cause new diseases.
We present excellent no-drugs methods for health recovery, tested and perfected by doctors for over 175 years.
We want to promote health independence and critical thinking.
This webpage is part of our free online magazine, produced by volunteers.
INHS has free membership, chat group and articles.
"Processed foods, altered foods, preservatives, food colorings, irradiation, overcooking, etc. contribute to toxemia and enervation."
What are the causes of disease?
Bacteria, viruses, germs? Poisons & toxins? Exhaustion? Old age? What is the Natural Hygiene standpoint? Do you know the 3 causes of disease?
The concepts below doctors have arrived at by trial and error from the 1820's onward.
Dr. Stanley Bass: The Cause of Disease
- Enervation - loss of energy which cause a slowdown and retention of body wastes leading to:
- Toxemia - retained body wastes and metabolic toxins.
These produce further enervation or weakening of body energies leading to greater and increased toxemia, establishing a recurring vicious cycle until a saturated toxemic state is produced forcing an elimination process called acute disease.
A waste of energy!
Energy loss is also caused by the use of toxic stimulants such as coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, environmental poisons, etc. Also negative mental and emotional states, loss of rest and sleep.
Processed foods, altered foods, preservatives, food colorings and many toxic chemicals added to flavor foods, irradiation, overcooking, etc. contribute to toxemia and enervation. Also included are overeating especially, overexercising, or overwork.
- Deficiencies - caused by refining of food, which removes vital substances, or food from depleted soils. This is very common and almost worldwide in prevalence today.
Dr. Stanley S. Bass
read more: Energy - Its Oneness and Unity As the Chief Factor in Health and Disease
"Leading to greater and increased toxemia, a recurring vicious cycle until a saturated toxemic state is produced forcing an elimination process called acute disease"
Dr. Stanley Bass: The Cause of Disease
from How Important is Diagnosis?
Barring injury, emergencies, or complications resulting from injury, such as hemorrhaging, broken bones, etc.., let us begin with conditions that are classified as diseases.
Only 3 causes
Generally speaking, diseases are caused by any or all of 3 factors - namely: enervation, toxemia or deficiency.
All body-parts are affected by toxins
There are 2 sources of toxemia:
- Toxemia which is caused by the ingestion and accumulation of substances which are foreign to the body and toxic in nature, such as chemicals, drugs, etc. These produce irritation, inflammation and pathology in bodily organs and systems.
- Toxemia which is due to the accumulation of toxic wastes resulting from the food and beverages we eat and drink; unnatural food or natural food in excess beyond what the body can use at the moment. Retention of this excess leads to decomposition of the food and the production of irritating and toxic chemical wastes, which provide a fertile field for the growth of microbes and various species of bacteria, which further increase the toxic state.
Deficiencies: The insufficiency of necessary food substances, such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, enzymes etc., lead to breakdown of cells, tissues and organs which is given names of diseases, according to its location.
John Henry Tilden, M.D., formulated a theory of the cause of disease as due to a recurring cycle of enervation and toxemia.
Enervation is the reduction or loss of energy occasioned by
- the lack of rest or sleep, or
- the excessive use of emotion, negative thoughts, worry, stress, or
- the overdoing of physical actions, overeating etc.
THE TOXEMIA - ENERVATION CYCLE
- Enervation leads to a reduction of the body's ability to digest, absorb, assimilate and excrete body wastes - thus leading to a retention of wastes in the cells and tissues and thereby causing disease.
- Disease, in turn, causes a depletion of the body's energies, requiring more energy to maintain the normal state of homeostasis than ordinarily needed. This excess expenditure of power leads to a slowdown in bodily function, which is followed by an increased retention of bodily toxins in a cycle as follows:
This ingenious cycle of enervation and toxemia as being the cause of all diseases (barring accidents or trauma) may be regarded as absolutely true if you add the additional factor of deficiencies (which is omitted in the theory).
The next important thing to be understood is this - the function of the blood and its circulation. Related to this is the understanding of the lymph circulation, the collateral circulatory system.
All food and beverages which are consumed finally enter the bloodstream and are circulated in an endless flow to all bodily parts. All the food nutrients are supplied to every cell and all cellular wastes are removed in this unceasing dual function.
Now, if disease occurs in one bodily organ or part from the presence of toxins or food excesses or uneliminated cellular wastes and excretions, you may be certain that these same wastes are being carried to all bodily organs and cells by this same bloodstream.
"These same wastes are being carried to all bodily organs and cells by this same bloodstream"
Each body-part responds differently to toxins
The weakest organ breaks down first manifesting disease. In time, the next weakest or overworked organ indicates malfunction, and is given a name of disease. The important thing to remember is that all bodily parts and cells are affected at the same time, with the weakest part manifesting first, followed by the next weakest.
Likewise, in the reverse manner, when you detoxicate the body by reducing the amount of food ingested, either partially (by a restricted diet or juice program), or totally, (by fasting or abstaining from all food except for the use of water), the blood removes all excessive wastes from all bodily parts and cells at the same time, a certain amount each day.
Dr. Stanley S. Bass
read more at drbass.com - How Important is Diagnosis?
Dr. Herbert Shelton: Do germs/virus/bacteria cause disease?
"The weakest organ breaks down first manifesting disease."